Can there be only 5 principles for a successful life?
The former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and his daughter Jackie Gingrich Cushman seem to think so.
Here are the five principles:
1. Dream Big. You have to keep your dreams alive and have faith that you can achieve them. There will be obstacles of course, but they are there to test your resolve. You have to know deep inside that you can achieve your dreams. Since it takes the same amount of energy to dream big or small, you may as well dream big.
2. Work Hard. Working hard gives you an incredible amount of energy and the knowledge that you are progressing in a steady manner. Persistence of course is essential.
“Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish”. John Quincy Adams, The sixth President of the United States
By working hard, you will discover that the journey stops being a burden and is rather a path of transformation to fulfill your dreams. The vision of your dream in your mind becomes so focused that the hard work is no longer hard.
“They who lack talent expect things to happen without efforts. They ascribe failure to a lack of inspiration or ability, or to misfortune, rather than insufficient application. At the core of every tru talent there is an awareness of the difficulties inherent in any achievement, and the confidence that by persistence and patience something worthwhile will be realized”. Eric Hoffer
3. Learn Every Day. You have to learn constantly in order to progress. Learning every day keeps you on the path to success. It allows you to not give up and find solutions to your problems at the right moment.
4. Enjoy Life. The authors draw from ancient philosophers like Aristotle, who said "Happiness depends upon ourselves" and modern scientific studies to show that successful people work hard to achieve their dreams and complement that hard work with a capacity to "really enjoy the journey you're on." Rush Limbaugh advises "There should be no guilt in the pursuit of happiness and the enjoyment of life."
5. Be True to Yourself. In order to be successful, you have to know yourself well in order to bypass your weaknesses and put your strength in display. Being true to yourself allows you to be self-confident and unstoppable.
In today's world of instant messaging and immediate gratification, we often forget that some things take time, practice, and patience to achieve. Aristotle had it right when he said: “We are what we repeatedly do.